So, yeh. 25 for 25 is over (almost, I mean I have a few left to go. Whatevs. There's just a few that required a bit more planning than I had time to actually get done.)
So now that I'm officially in my mid-twenties, or as I like to tell people, almost 30, I thought it high time I dispense some pearls of wisdom gathered from my 25 complete years on this here planet. In no particular order:
1. It's been said before and I'll say it again: your comfort zone is not where the magic happens.
2. Wear suncream, for real. You'll thank me in 20 years time, for sure.
3. On a night out nothing good happens after 2am. People drink too much, get into stupid fights, hook up with people they shouldn't and take drugs they shouldn't. Do yourself a favour and get on that Night Bus before the real crazy hits the fan and you have to run all the way home.
4. Love God. Love others. Repeat.
5. Go to Norway (you may need to sell a kidney in order to eat there but it'll be worth it. Trust me).
6. The people who have the most fun? They're the ones who really don't care what you or anyone else thinks about them. They're having too much fun to consider your judgement.
7. Sugar is crack. Just say no kids. Just. Say. No.
8. You can't outrun your problems (unless your're being chased by an angry mob) and it's exhausting to try. They don't leave if you ignore them either. Maybe you need to make the space to deal with them. Trust me, I went to Norway to avoid 25. Apparently you can turn 25 in Norway too - who knew?
9. Our actions have consequences (climate change haters take note).
10. Life is HD y'all. Turn off the TV and get outside. Breathe in the HD air, look at the HD sky and interact with the HD people.
11. Fairtrade. Fairtrade. Fairtrade.
12. Generosity is key.
13. Forgive. Grudges cost energy and give you frown lines. Not cool yo. Not cool.
14. Make peace with your fam - you never know when you might need a kidney.
15. The art of vulnerability is a balance. Too much = emotional wreck with friends rapidly running out of patience. Not enough = Buzz Lightyear before he knew he was a T.O.Y.
16. We need a community. Why go solo when you can take a friend?
17. Han shot first.
18. See the world - your world view is not normal for the whole wide world.
19. Adventures rarely come to those who sit around and wait for them to knock on the door (unless you happen to be Bilbo Baggins). You gotta atleast make an effort.
20. Caring about being cool is not cool yo.
21. Vote. You might not think it makes a difference. I know for sure where I live it doesn’t make a difference (surrounded by staunch conservatives). But stand up and be counted. Yeh, I agree, I don't trust any of them – lies, statistics and more lies. But some are worse than others.
22. I’ve said it at least once before and I'll say it again – put your phone away. For real. If you’re reading this on your mobile – put your phone down and don't even finish this sentence...
23. Spending your full time 9-5 being slowly drained of life is not ok.
24. There's a reason why old people are wise - they've already made that mistake you're about to make. So go see what they think.
25. Jesus > Dolly Parton > Beyonce.
Life is for living yo. So live it.